Where have you been

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cool Toned Chullo finished!

Well, almost finished. The cool toned version is blocking on a towel and needs two tassels on the ear flaps.  

The colors I used were from Knitpicks Palette Yarn, a fingering weight Andes wool that comes in 51 colors, some heathered and some solid. 


  1. Pool (med sky blue)
  2. Blue (royal mid blue)
  3. Iris Heather (pale mauve)
  4. Clematis Heather (dark grape with some gold mixed in)
  5. Huckleberry Heather (reddish purple, very pretty)
  6. Lipstick (pinkish medium red, like Alizarin Crimson)
  7. Cream

The flaps have the Ripples pattern and the main body uses a few patterns I found for Scandinavian borders, the dots, the spiral (not quite right), and the Alpacas for the main motif in the middle. Pool blue applied I-Cord. 


Saturday, January 24, 2009


I knit up another pair of those Selbuvotter gloves in Palette Yarn (that beautiful stuff from Knitpicks) and then proceeded onto the kit of the Chullo hat from the same place. This Palette yarn is lofty, soft, light as a feather and colorful. And inexpensive. I adore it. 

The kit itself is about $20 and can make two hats! Generosity is a blessed trait, isn't it? I had to start the earflaps many times until I remembered how to knit colorwork in flat knitting. I had stopped knitting for some years, and this was hard to remember to do correctly. But after some bobbling around, I got the flaps done and then, ugh, I twisted the hat in joining ears to the knitting-around of the hat body. Ripping banded colorwork? Not worth it. Just start again. Plenty o' yarn.

Finally the hat is done. I re-worked the i-cord applied to edge differently than they worked it--because their method works from the RIGHT side and I think i-cord applied works best from the WRONG side--no color peeking through and the nicer part of the cord shows. This necessitated redoing the applied cord, no split up the cord to apply on either side of the hanging end (where the tassel goes.) Instead, did the hanging cord, applied one side of hat, then worked down on other side and ended in a cord. Then wove edges together. You have to BLOCK with pins to get it to lie flat and also colorwork REALLY requires some blocking. It is a mistake not to block colorwork. 

I wore the hat yesterday. Warm. Light. I'm off to make another,  using cool tones of blue, purple, and dark pink-red with cream. And maybe some gloves to match. 

Monday, January 12, 2009

Glove Love

Well, the Lloie Cardigan was a bust--not sure that five balls of the MC is enough; I have 5 each raspberry and plum, so maybe I will make something else. Besides, I turned out to hate the colorwork swatch destined for the yoke. Ripped it all out. Gone.

Meanwhile, I got a copy of SELBUVOTTER: Biography of a Knitting Tradition in which there are mittens and gloves in beautiful Norwegian patterns based on the Selbu rose.

I have knitted 2 pair so far (well, almost 2 pair) in Knitpick's Palette fingering yarn.

Pair #1 is Annemor #17, suggested as the starter, relatively easy. I did it in a suggested colorway Green Tea and Eggplant (no, not a Japanese dinner but a nice green/purple.) Then I decided to do Annemor #15 in Cornmeal and Garnet.