Where have you been

Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Very Vegan Thanksgiving

Though I am not a vegan, I did have a vegan Thankgiving, sharing a feast with some friends in Maryland. The menu included a tofu-stuffing casserole with gravy, mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, green beans. It was all too delicious.

I came away with a recipe for vegan Crock "Cheez"--an imitation cheese that is lower in fat than regular cheese. I made up a batch and it's positively addictive. I love a lunch of cheese and whole grain crackers, with some fruit or raw vegetables. But the fat in cheese makes it not the best item to eat. This crock cheez is savory, low in fat and a wonderful lunch or appetizer.

1 tofu extra firm, 8 oz (about 2/3 a 14 ounce block.)
5 tbsp nutritional yeast,
2 tbsp tahini
1-1/2 tbsp miso
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp paprika (I used smoked Spanish paprika from Penzey's)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dry mustard,
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
blend til smooth. I used a stick blender in the cup attachment; food processor or a suribachi is good.
Let sit an hour in the fridge to develop the flavor.

If you insist on that orange stuff, you could put in some natural carotene food color.

I warn you that this stuff will disappear; even non-veggie people will scoop it up.

No comments: